Mārtiņš Aljēns has a wide experience in representing clients in complex civil and administrative litigations as well as before the Constitutional Court. He is also an expert in financial and capital markets, and restructuring and insolvency. Before joining COBALT Mārtiņš spent 10 years working for several Latvian banks including as an in-house legal counsel of Societe Generale Riga branch and Nordea Bank Finland Plc Latvia branch.
- Dispute Resolution - Recognised Practitioner, Chambers Global 2019
- Dispute Resolution - Recognised Practitioner, Chambers Europe 2019
- Latvian, English, Russian
- Education & membership
- LL.M. in International and European Law, Riga Graduate School of Law (2009)
- LL.M., University of Latvia, Faculty of Law (2004)
- LL.B., University of Latvia, Faculty of Law (2001)
- Latvian Bar Association (since 2005)
- Amendments to Insolvency Law
- What changes will the new amendments to the Insolvency Law bring?
- What to do if the debtor is experiencing financial difficulties?
- On time limits for suspension of employee
- Remarks on the Draft Law on Debt Recovery
- Herbert Smith. The European Energy Handbook 2011. Latvia Chapter
- Introduction to Collection of Debts
- Herbert Smith. European Energy Review 2008. Latvia Chapter.
- Global Legal Group. The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Mergers & Acquisitions 2008. Latvia Chapter.
- How To Attract Cheaper Funds?
- Global Legal Group. Global International Comparative Legal Guide to: Securitisation 2007. Latvia chapter.
- Herbert Smith. European Energy Review 2007. Latvia chapter.
- Global Legal Group. The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Mergers & Acquisitions 2007. Latvia Chapter.
- Global Legal Group. The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Securitisation 2006. Latvia chapter.
- COBALT achieves positive decision in unfair dismissal case
- The Constitutional Court: employer is entitled to recover amounts wrongly adjudged by court of lower instance
- COBALT achieves positive decision for employers in Constitutional Court
- The Constitutional Court satisfies SIA Hiponia constitutional petition
- Constitutional Court satisfies the request to stay the enforcement of court’s decision
- Bite group companies refinance
[A client] reserves praise for senior associate Martins Aljens, and in particular his availability, saying that 'the accessibility, reachability and responsiveness of Mr Aljens was excellent'.