Edgars is among the most highly respected public law experts across the country and the co-author of several key books on constitutional law.
Edgars has extensive constitutional litigation experience. He is regularly called upon by the Constitutional Court to provide expert opinion on relevant procedural matters. Moreover, he has acted for a range of clients in administrative proceedings, the Cabinet of Ministers and the Ministry of Transport among them.
He has been among the drafters of numerous laws, regulations and legislative amendments (in the area of construction, banking, finances, real estate, employment, anti-money laundering and the responsibility of state officials), being the one to initiate new and non-customary solutions (e.g. regulation of companies important for national security, adjustment of the UK JMLIT regulation to Latvia).
Edgars has worked extensively on matters closely related to banking and finances, by advising on legal, compliance (Moneyval evaluation), risk management, capital market (covered bonds, securitization, pension funds), consumer crediting and payments (including PSD2 implementation) and has represented Latvia’s financial sector at the European Banking Federation and Europol working groups.
He has continuously participated in legislative drafting work groups at the Ministry of Justice for civil procedure law amendments, commercial law amendments and improved insolvency regulation.
- Latvian, English, Russian
- Education & membership
- Master’s degree in Law, University of Latvia, Riga, Latvia (2006)
- Lawyer’s qualification, University of Latvia, Riga, Latvia (2005)
- Latvian Bar Association (since 2016)
- Member of State Heraldry Commission (since 2015)
- COBALT successfully represents Jaunjelgava Municipality before the Constitutional Court, contesting regulation which determines minimum number of pupils in class
- COBALT advises Latvian Wind Energy Association
- COBALT advises Ministry of Transport of Latvia
- COBALT advised SIA Technological Solutions in construction of a CHP facility with a power of 4 MWel